Saturday, January 15, 2011

Good babies

It is 5 AM and I just returned from the hospital. I am too keyed up to sleep just yet. I feel I often talk about the depressing aspect of medicine here. But over the last 2 hours, I delivered three healthy babies. I was called to OB for a mom who had been pushing for 2 hours with minimal descent of the baby into the pelvis. Upon arrival to the OB ward, I was informed there was a different mom who had just arrived from a local district hospital. She had been pushing for a while but was unable to deliver. The baby was fairly stuck in her pelvis, but was delivered with the use of a vacuum. Although it took 4 to 5 minutes for the baby to have spontaneous breathing, he ended up doing well. I then was informed of a mom who just came in breech and 6 cm dilated. It was her 7th baby. As I went to see her, she started to push, and I delivered the baby girl breech. After a slow start, this baby also did well.

Finally, I was able to evaluate the original mom I was paged about. Her baby was in a deep transverse arrest (looking sideways and not descending into the pelvis) and needed to be delivered by Cesarean section. Her surgery went well and the baby boy is doing great.

So, 3 good babies - delivered in three different ways - in 2 hours. I love my job.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Popp family.
    I am going to send you guys a package and wanted to know if there is anything you guys need. Email me at amandaraec@yahoo.com
    I really did not want to tell you but would hate to think there was something you wanted/needed and I just did not ask.
    Amanda Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonah, I logged on for "just a minute" about an hour ago to check out your experience thus far. I am so encouraged by the work you are doing, and shocked by our small world...Eric McLaughlin sang at our wedding and was a friend through grad school! You'll have to tell him Amy (Helber) Kilgore sends her love. We played many late night games of Catan while he was in med school and I was in grad school! I will lift your family and patients in prayer this week. I am humbled to be born and raised so close to such modern medical facilities and to have two healthy beautiful boys with uneventful deliveries! May the God of PEACE, the God who HEALS and PROVIDES for our EVERY need give you strength to serve and a heart that longs FIRST for HIM! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda-- Thank you so much for wanting to send us a care package! SO sweet of you. We really are not in need of anything in particular since we have some friends and family who will be coming in the next month. If you still want to send us something- I would mail it in "Scotch" bubble wrap envelopes. It will much cheaper to send and will get here faster. Boxes can take up to several months but envelopes may only take 2-3 weeks. Not sure why. Thanks so much for keeping us in your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy- Great to hear from you and Yes, it is such a small world! I will definitely tell Eric...they are coming over for dinner this weekend! Hope you and your family are well and thank you for praying for us! Toanh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I got your post to late I had already send a package in a box. I guess you will get it in a couple months. :) I have some exciting news. We are expecting Smith baby #4! So I was wondering if you knew if you would be back by Oct. to do the C-Section? :)

    ReplyDelete