Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Teachers

It seemed odd to have a scalpel in my hands after a 2 month break from the OR. Today was my first day at the hospital. I delivered my first Kenyan baby - a girl. (Please do not ask me her name as my Swahili is nonexistent). I also performed four other surgeries. As many of you are aware, there are 3 families at Tenwek that came from Michigan. Rachel McLaughlin is part of this group, an Ob/Gyn that trained in our residency program. As our day started today, she said "I think I am more nervous than you." For her 4 years of training I was her teacher, but today the tables were turned and I was looking to her for answers and reassurance. For anyone that knows Rachel, she played the teacher role flawlessly.

Speaking of teaching, Toanh has had the opportunity to spend 2 days with Anna as her 2nd grade home school teacher. It appears to be going well. Tomorrow there is going to be a substitute teacher - Dad!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome day for all of you!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting time for you all ! We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and so look forward to hearing of the many adventures the Popp family will experience on this very special journey !

    The Griffiths Family xoxo

    ReplyDelete