Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Root Canal in Africa

There are many things I thought I would experience in Africa, but a root canal was not on the list!

Over the last month, I was experiencing pain on my left top molar. I suspected a cavity (this would not be my first) and started brushing and flossing multiple times a day. As the weeks went on, the pain worsened. I knew I needed help when I was getting up at night to take pain medication to sleep. So I went to the Tenwek dentist.

We are very blessed to have a great dentist serving our community. Dr. Kuyaya has been at Tenwek for 10 years. I was expecting him to treat me for a cavity and I would be on my way. You can imagine my surprise when we started to discuss root canals. The X-ray showed an area of decay under a filling I already had. Once he drilled out this filling, the decay reached the pulp of my tooth. So the only option was a root canal. He performed the procedure in a two-step approach. And today, I had the procedure completed. I am not sure the price of a root canal in the US, but I am quite certain it is more than $53!

Oh, the memories I will treasure from my time in Africa.


Files placed in my molar to clean out the roots

X-ray verification of proper placement

Anyone for a hot dental tool?

The old spittoon - thought I had seen the last one of these when I was 10 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment